***Update 6/9/2020: We are no longer reviewing or accepting submissions. Please follow us on social media or subscribe to our e-newsletter to be notified of our next open submission opportunity.
We consider submissions for our regular issues once a year. Occasionally, we also collect submissions for special issues based on a specific theme. You can submit your original work by mail or by email at any time. No more than ten pages of poetry or thirty pages of prose should be submitted at a time. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable but please notify us immediately if your work has been accepted elsewhere. If you participate in our ‘Bamboo Shoots‘ online writing community, your pieces may also be considered for publication in the next issue.
Calls for submission are usually announced via our newsletter and social media accounts, so we encourage you to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the latest news and updates. Also, we strongly suggest that, before submitting, writers read current or back issues of BAMBOO RIDGE. Copies are available at bookstores, libraries, or may be purchased through the Bamboo Ridge Bookstore.
What we’re looking for: Thought-provoking and unforgettable pieces that sustain us. Fiction that feeds the soul. We’re looking for prose, poetry, and art that celebrates diversity and reflects the unique cultures, communities, and voices of Hawai‘i and the Pacific.
What we’re NOT looking for: We are not looking for work that promotes hate speech, presents stereotypes, and/or romanticizes or exoticizes a culture/place/ or people. We are not currently considering book manuscripts.
Email your submission to BRPsubmissions@gmail.com
- Subject line should read “Submission, [your last name]”
- If you are submitting for a special issue, include that in the subject line.
- Please copy & paste your piece into the body of your email. Attachments will NOT be opened.
- Include author name, byline if different, short bio, and contact information.
- We value your submissions however, cannot respond to every email personally. If your work is chosen for publication you will hear from us as soon as possible. We appreciate your understanding and patience during the selection process and hope you continue to submit in the future.
While we will continue to accept submissions via regular mail, we prefer email.
You can mail submission and contact information (mailing address, phone, and email) to
Bamboo Ridge Press
P.O. Box 61781
Honolulu, Hawaii 96839-1781
Manuscripts should be in 12-point type, with one-inch margins on one side of 8.5″ x 11″ white paper. Prose should be double-spaced. Poetry may be single-spaced. To ensure a response to a hard copy submission, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Affix sufficient postage if you wish to have your work returned.
Please do not send your only copy of your writing; we will not be responsible for lost or damaged manuscripts.