* Please do not submit AI generated writing or art. Also, we are not currently accepting full-length manuscripts.
What we’re looking for: Thought-provoking and unforgettable pieces that sustain us. Work that inspires and connects us. Writing that feeds the soul. While we invite submissions from all writers, we’re especially interested in seeing works rooted in, and from, Hawaiʻi, the Pacific region, and island communities.
We’re open to all written and visual forms, i.e. short fiction, poetry, essays, plays, comics, experimental forms, or hybrid/mixed-genre.
What we’re NOT looking for: We are not looking for work that promotes hate speech, presents stereotypes, and/or romanticizes or exoticizes a culture/place/ or people. Work that is clearly racist, homophobic, ableist, sexist, classist, or anti-trans will not be considered.
Email your submission to BRPsubmissions@gmail.com
- Subject line should read “Submission, [last name], Issue 126”
- Forms: prose, creative nonfiction, poetry, stand-alone excerpts, visual art, experimental forms.
- Prose (word count/page count): 5,000 words
- Poetry (# of poems): up to 5 poems per author (no more than 10 pages).
- Double spaced unless it’s poetry, 12 pt. any font style (such as Times New Roman or Calibri).
- Send Word or PDF document as an attachment. File name should be your last name followed by the piece/collection title.
- In the body of your email (or optional attached cover letter) please include your author name, byline if different, short bio, and contact information. Please also indicate the island that you are from. If you are not from the Pacific, please indicate your connection to Hawai’i or the Pacific region.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. If accepted by another publication please notify us asap via email to withdraw your work.
- We will consider reprints if you retain rights to the work. In this case please include the name of the previous publisher and date of publication.
- If you are quoting material, like song lyrics, it must be in the public domain or you must provide permission(s) from the copyright holder to reprint the quoted material.
- We value your submissions however, cannot respond to every email personally. If your work is chosen for publication you will hear from us as soon as possible. We appreciate your understanding and patience during the selection process.