Boo! Happy Halloween to all of you friends and supporters of BAMBOO RIDGE. I hope you've cut up your pumpkins, saved some candy for the kiddies, and put in your entries for the October edition of The Great BR Fishing & Wishing 100 – 100 Contest. DEADline (pretty spooky) is 2:00 p.m. HST. Just a few hours to ghost:
And be sure to follow our four Renshi gurus as they tackle the infamous Massie Affair:
Okay, we got a whole lotta news, so here we go:
1) Starting November 1st, through the end of the year, there is special holiday pricing on books purchased through the Bamboo Ridge Press online bookstore (as well as at BRP tables at the two craft fairs listed below): Buy one book with a cover price of $15 or more, pay only $10 for each additional book listed at more than $10.
2) For folks in Southern California, a rare opportunity to catch Lee Cataluna reading from her newly released novel, THREE YEARS ON DOREEN'S SOFA, 7:00 p.m., Thursday evening, November 3rd, at the University of California Riverside Palm Desert Graduate Center, 75080 Frank Sinatra Drive, Palm Desert California. Call (760) 834-0800 for information:
3) The 30th Annual TEMARI Trash & Treasure Craft Fair, Sunday, November 6th, Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaiʻi, 5th floor ballroom; 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. – TEMARI and JCCH members only; 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. – open to the general public. Look for the Bamboo Ridge Press book table on the lanai, take advantage of the quantity discount to buy holiday gift books!
4) Aloha Shorts taping, Sunday, Nov 6 @ 6:45 pm
WAR! WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR?
Call HPR during business hours 955-8821 to reserve your seats
War stories and poems by Elisabeth Knoke Dieckvoss, Mavis Hara, Gail N. Harada, Violet Harada, J.A. Kelleher, Juliet S. Kono, Wing Tek Lum, Maida Kane, Katherine Z. Smith, and Lee Tonouchi. Performed by Chance Gusukuma, Shiro Kawai, Kat Koshi, Leena Kurvet-Käosaar, Eden-Lee Murray, Devon Nekoba, Jo Pruden, Sonja Sironen, and Christine Yano. For complete listing, visit our web page.
Accompanied by the Aloha Shorts house band Hamajang and friends. Plus a special exhibit by Noe Tanigawa (HPR Arts and Culture reporter) of her encaustic (wax) piece, previously seen on the cover of Bamboo Ridge #98.
Aloha Shorts Producing Team
5) Cane Haul Road Christmas Sale, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Saturday, November 19th, at the Kuhio Elementary School Cafeteria (across from the Humane Society); special quantity discounts on Bamboo Ridge Press books:
6) Lee Cataluna on LONG STORY SHORT with Leslie Wilcox – Part 1 of 2, 7:30 p.m., Tuesday, November 29th on PBS Hawaiʻi
7) Lee Tonouchi reading from his new book, SIGNIFICANT MOMENTS IN DA LIFE OF ORIENTAL FADDAH AND SON: ONE HAWAIʻI OKINAWAN JOURNAL, a collection of poetry, 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 30th, at the University of Hawaiʻi Art Auditorium.
* * * * *
Okay, I think that's all for now. Until next time, everybody take good care, love your families, and don't forget to write : )
Bamboo Ridge Press was founded in 1978 to foster the appreciation, understanding, and creation of literary, visual, or performing arts by, for, or about Hawaiʻi's people. BRP is a nonprofit, tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization funded in part by the National Endowment for the Arts, the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, the Mayor's Office of Culture and the Arts, and the Hawaiʻi Council for the Humanities.
A hui ho!