There is no word limit for your entries. HOWEVER, we are also looking for haiku entries, if you are so inclined : )
The triggers for this month are lines taken from the following two texts. Find them here:
Use one of the prompts to trigger your piece AND if you use one of the lines in your piece, your mojo is strong : )
1. You can submit one entry per month. All entries must be posted on the Bamboo Shoots page of the BRP site between January 1 and January 31 at 2:00 p.m. HST.
2. Entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays — or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
Remember — no joke — if you want to do paragraph indentations to make it easier for the judges to read your piece : ), put the [sp5 ] tag — no spaces — in front of the line you want to indent five spaces.
And no joke plus, don’t forget to click the “Year of the Horse Contest” button for your entry.
3. Every entry must have a title — unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you could simply enter the word haiku in the title section — unless you do have a title — and the title does NOT count in the word total.
4. In the section below the title where it says:
A blurb about your piece or a good quote from your piece:
You MUST — REALLY NOT KIDDING — include your word count.
Your entry should look like this:
Title: I Don’t Get It / or just Haiku
A blurb about your piece or a good quote from your piece: 205 words
He got out of his car, came to my window, asked me to roll it down — which I foolishly did — and punched me in the face. . . . blah blah blah . . . Compared to me he was pretty bloody by the time we finished fighting for no reason I could figure out.
5. Winners will be announced with all possible BR speed after 2:00 p.m. HST, January 31, and they’ll win 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! And maybe you’ll be published in a future issue of Bamboo Ridge : )
6. Don’t forget that 29 entries from July 2010 through June 2011 were selected for publication in the landmark 100th issue of BAMBOO RIDGE. So you never know. Your piece might be published in a future issue, and four more were just published in the 35th anniversary issue : )
Good luck to you, and write write write : )
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.