I was listening to my song list — I always have it set to random — and a Little River Band song from 1978 popped up. It’s called “Cool Change.” Takes me back to my days working in a record store in Madison, Wisconsin. Man, was I young then. 1978. It was a very good year. And at the same time, it wasn’t.
This month, let’s go 100 words minimum with no upper limit — reminds me of my calculus days.
For a possible prompt, let’s say there’s a song you like. That song inspires you to write a piece about anything that comes to mind when you think about it. Whether it’s the lyrics, or the first time you heard it, or if it’s you and your significant other’s song, write about it.
Or not. As always, you can write about anything you’d like.
Everybody take good care, stay well, and love your families.
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.