Aloha #WriterThursday, I hope you are well and taking precautions still. Today’s #WritingPrompt is
Use it to write a piece or any style, poem, short story, play, or essay, and then post that piece as a Bamboo Shoots Writing Contest entry, or as a Shoot da Breeze non-contest entry. We would love to read it : )
Here’s my draft for today.
Authority (150 words)
“Lanning,” said Chan, “we’re trying our best to nail Gi Yu for your father’s murder.”
I told them what had just transpired at Sheena’s with Margie.
Chan said, “Your dad was watching over you.”
Kono and Chin had to take off. After they’d gone, I placed a large envelope on the table in front of Chan.
“I wrote about what happened. My father.”
“Wow, impressive,” Chan said, looking through the pages. “Whoa. I see I get alotta air time here. No changing the names to protect the innocent?”
I laughed. “No. I wanted to tell it straight.”
“You know, sometimes I wish I had time to write up some of my cases. I’d have to fictionalize them pretty heavily. People might be interested.”
“Speaking of that,” I said, “I was thinking I’d like to write about you. Your cases. You’d make a great protagonist.”
Chan laughed, blushed even.
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.