Here are the prompts for July. There is no specific word count this month. Write a piece as long or as short as you like. Again, the suggested prompts may be ignored at will.
1. From “Today,” by Fred Peyer
We will watch old movies without regret
* * *
2. From “Real Courage,” by Doreen Beyer
Every child born a thief of time and of scarce
* * *
3. From “The Alternative,” by Jim Harstad
One of the really good things about being old is having the leisure to think about all the noble things you did on the way here, your generous, sometimes courageous, contributions to a clearheaded, compassionate social ambiance, a world full of hope and promise.
* * *
4. From “When the Veil Flutters,” by Joy Gold
So the chase repeats itself with different endings
* * *
5. From “Church Service,” by Lanning Lee
As a youngster I was dragged to Sunday service.
* * *
Let’s write : )
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.