Aloha and welcome to the February Year of the Tiger Bamboo Shoots Writing Contest. If you were looking for the February writing prompts, you have come to the right place. This month is special. In conjunction with Mahina ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi, Hawaiian Language Month, we are encouraging anyone interested in submitting contest pieces written in Hawaiian to please do so. If you choose to submit an English translation along with it, then please do so. The wider the audience you can reach, the more others will be able to enjoy what you post. Of course, entries in any language are always welcome here as well. Always. Anytime.
So here we go. Let’s do 100 words or more. These are the writing prompts. You may use them or, as always, ignore them completely and write whatever you would like. Just make sure that you have the minimum of 100 words.
Black History Month
or, again, anything you feel like writing about. Just make sure it’s 100 words minimum.
And don’t forget, the writing prompt for the February Go Try Playwrite Contest is: A meet-cute (an amusing or charming first encounter between two characters that leads to the development of a romantic relationship between them) between a Hawai‘i local and a tourist in Waikīkī.
Enter Here: https://www.kumukahua.org/gotryplaywrite
Okay, friends, let’s write.
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.
This prompt is closed for submissions.