Let’s write something up to a 1000 word max. Prose, poems, plays/monologues, hybrid forms. Whatever you like. Remember, these prompts can be ignored. Feel free to write anything you’d like to write about. Here are some prompt possibilities you can ignore:
Going to stay
Leaving on a jet plane
Living in the fast lane
Taking it slow
What a way to go
Which way do I go?
We don’t need no stinking’ instructions
These few precious days
Okay, let’s write whatever we want to write up to a max of 1000 words. Don’t forget. Any piece you post could be chosen by the editors for publication in a future issue of the Bamboo Ridge Journal of Hawai’i Literature and Art.
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.