Okay, this time lets do 100 to 1000 words. Remember, you can ignore these prompts if you choose to do so. Write about whatever you’d like to write about. In any form you wish. Had it with English? Write a piece in the language of your choice. Hawaiian. French. Japanese. Klingon. Pig Latin. No need for a translation. Just do your thing. Here are the prompts.
Words of comfort
A word you just learned
A word you make up — Hey, if Shakespeare can do it, so can you. Jim Harstad says that when he’s jamming and fully in the writing flow, if the right word doesn’t come to mind immediately, he makes one up on the spot.
The right word
The wrong word
Okay, Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate it. Let’s write.
- We reserve the right to remove content that promotes hate or gratuitous violence. Be respectful and courteous to others.
- All contest challenge entries must be submitted by the designated
- Enter as many times as you like using a trigger/prompt (this page).
- Contest Challenge entries can be prose (including short stories, nonfiction essays, or whatever you write), poetry, or plays -- or any type of hybrid writing you dream up.
- Every entry must have a title -- unless you choose to enter a haiku, in which case you can simply enter the word haiku in the title section.
- All content/entries should be original work. You retain ownership of your entries; however, we may ask to use them elsewhere on the site or on social media to help promote Bamboo Ridge and/or the Bamboo Shoots online writing community.
- Winners will be announced with all possible speed after the end of each month. Winners receive 10 Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore. Bamboo Bucks have no monetary value outside of the online store.
- Entries may also be selected for publication in the regular Bamboo Ridge Journal. If your piece is chosen, the editors will contact you via the email address on file.
- Please note that you need not enter the contest challenge in order to post on Bamboo Shoots. You may post other writing if you choose. We welcome that here: Click this link to go to Shoot da Breeze.