The January writing theme choices — with the exception of the last one — are inspired by BR issues #21 and #22.
Note: For further creative inspiration, if you’d like to read the pieces used for the theme choices, you can find them here:
Here are the 14 choices for January:
Theme #1: Buddy
Theme #2: Deals
Theme #3: Nailed
Theme #4: Craters
Theme #5: Ride
Theme #6: Summer
Theme #7: Kaho`olawe
Theme #8: Whispers
Theme #9: Bomb
Theme #10: Disappearance
Theme #11: Mystery
Theme #12: Rightful
Theme #13: Harmony
Theme #14: 2012
Pick one theme — or all FOURTEEN if you’d like that challenge : ) — and write your entry accordingly.
Here are the rules for The Great BR Fishing & Wishing 100 - 100 Contest:
1. You can submit one entry per month. All entries must be posted on the Bamboo Shoots page of the BRP site between January 1 and January 31 at 2:00 p.m. HST.
2. The entries -- prose, poetry, or plays -- must be between 100 WORDS minimum and 100 LINES maximum. Sound familiar? It's a cross between the 100-word short-short story contest and the 100-line submission maximum for the upcoming 100th issue of BAMBOO RIDGE.
If you plan to approach the 100 line maximum, please draft your work following the original submission guidelines: double-spaced with 1” margins, using 12 pt. Times New Roman.
If you want to do paragraph indentations, put the -- no spaces -- in front of the line you want to indent five spaces.
Don't forget to click the "Great BR Fishing & Wishing 100 - 100 Contest" button for your entry.
3. Every entry must have a title, and that title does NOT count against either the word total or the line total.
4. In the section below the title where it says
A blurb about your piece or a good quote from your piece:
You MUST include your word count. For example:
Title: Burning Up
A blurb about your piece or a good quote from your piece: 412 words
Body: Don't get me started on "cowboy" matches . . . blah blah blah . . . blah blah blah. The authorities finally closed the case, calling it an "accidental" fire.
5. Winners will be announced with all possible BR speed after 2:00 p.m. HST, January 31, and they'll win Bamboo Bucks credit to spend in the BRP online bookstore.
6. Don't forget that 29 entries from July 2010 through June 2011 were selected for publication in the upcoming landmark 100th issue of BAMBOO RIDGE. So you never know. Your piece might be published in a future issue of BAMBOO RIDGE : )
Good luck and keep on writing!